Today was a good day. I worked on the CNC for a bit while ever so taking my time. When you create a one off prototype you have to really plan things. I don’t like to sit at the computer fighting SketchUp for designs. I prefer to take the material I have and physically draw the layout and put it all together as I go. This way if I run across a problem I can quickly resolve it.
I worked on the Z axis a bit today. When I was thinking of game plan I decided to use a hard wood for the base that will hold the spindle. The vibrations with OSB might loosen things up over time.
Since the back piece of the Z-Axis is OSB I made sure to use the ruff side the glue side so the glue can adhere better. The piece of Oak is pallet wood. I let the glue setup enough that it was squared and remove it from the workbench. I re-clamped to itself and letting it cure overnight so I can pre-drill and secure it with screws. I wish I had enough Oak to do the whole Z-Axis but as long as the spindle mount is solid it should hold up. I’m not planning to use a Dremel or anything like that for milling/routing.
These rail pieces I found last week. I think they were from some can light fixtures. They were sticking in the dirt at a job site. I cleaned them up and filed down the high ruff spots until they slid true. These will be the glide rails for the Z-Axis.
I did a test fit for the X-Axis glide rails. I was a bit off but a simple fix with the router table fixed it. I plan to do a friction fit for the glide rails and cut them to the final size on the final assembly.
I need a base and table to finish the skeleton of the unit before I start on the Y-Axis. I plan to use solid wood for the X-Axis table so I can level it on the first run. I am still going to use a Arduino with GRBL loaded up as the controller. I found a nifty Android app that can control the unit. It costs about $20.00 for the Bluetooth package I might use on the final setup so I can use a old Cellphone or Tablet as a dedicated unit. To power the whole thing I got a 19volt laptop power supply that is rated for 3.5 amps. Should be plenty. I can always add a 5volt regulator to power the Arduino.