Started on restoring the VTVM. I stripped down the whole thing and wire brushed the chassis using my Drill Press with a wire wheel. I also painted the chassis with some Semi-gloss black high heat exhaust enamel from Duplicolor since it prevents rust and holds stronger than the rustoleum stuff. Granted this does not count as in a “restore” of bringing it back to its new state but in my opinion better and safer.
Before painting it I had to drill out the rivets for the tube sockets and a few standoffs. I also numbered and wrote a legend sheet out to keep track to what wire is what. I may have to end up rewire the whole thing since there is a mix bag of wire types and gauges that don’t seem right since this uses a high voltage. Some of the wires are 22 gauge telephone wire and some have the cloth covering or with typical rubber coating. I don’t know if these meters were offered as a kit or not but it seems to be in bad shape.
I have measured the fixed Carbon comp resistors and they seem to be out of tolerance. Good thing I have a wide assortment of 1/2watt Metal Oxide resistors.
I used some plastic polish on the meter face and now im stuck with a static issue that moves the needle. I think if I rub it down with a anti-static sheet it will dissipate it. I even polished the front panel and has a chrome look to it. When im finished I’ll polish it one last time.
The Capacitors are on order. I even ordered the Capacitors for the Eico that I plan to restore after this one.